Meetings and conversations between teachers and parents can be quite challenging, particularly when teachers are required to raise sensitive issues. Broaching delicate topics such as poor behaviour, learning difficulties and mental health concerns can often be fraught with high emotion, defensiveness and denial from parents. In this webinar, Michael Grose helps teachers to initiate sensitive conversations and work collaboratively with parents to maintain the best interest of the child.
Key learning and discussion points include:
- Preparing thoroughly in advance of raising a sensitive topic with a parent
- Methods for framing communication to overcome parent denial and defensiveness
- Managing the emotional levels of parents so that both teachers and parents feel safe and secure in the conversation
- Building confidence and maintaining composure when meeting with parents
- Developing a range of higher level meetings skills to increase meeting effectiveness