I’m avid reader and collector of quotes. I love how a few well-crafted words of wisdom or humour can convey a feeling; invoke reflection; spark some action or just get you thinking.
Great quotes should be shared so that ideas and wisdom spreads. With this thought in mind here are 15 of my favourite parenting quotes that I believe are worth sharing:
1. “Character, like good soup, is made at home.” Unknown
2. “A mother is not a person to lean on, but a person to make leaning unnecessary.”
Dorothy Canfield Fisher
3. “Correction does much, but encouragement does more.” Goethe
4. “In practice to love people equally you have to treat them differently. Any wise parent knows this.” Tim Costello
5. “Just do as we say Dad and no one will get hurt.” Two daughters to their father
6. “A father is someone who plays with you even though he has someone his own age to play with.” Six-year-old boy
7. “One of the reasons that parents should look like they are having fun is to give kids a reason to grow up.” Patch Adams
8. “Never do regularly for a child the things they can do for him or herself.” Maurice Balson
9. “Children are a small percentage of the population but 100% of our future.” Unknown
10. "There must be many fathers around the country who have experienced the cruelest, most crushing rejection of all: their children have ended up supporting the wrong team." Nick Hornby
11. “Children need love especially when they don’t deserve it.” Harold S. Hulbert
12. “Mothers always know.” Oprah Winfrey
13. “Becoming responsible adults is no longer a matter of whether children hang up their pyjamas or put dirty towels in the hamper, but whether they care about themselves and others- and whether they see chores as related to how we treat the planet.” Eda Lesban
14. “All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That’s his.”
15. “Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn’t have said.” Unknown
So what’s your favourite parenting quote? Which of these rang true for you? Which parenting quote should be on this list?
Share this post!
Subscribe for Blog updates